Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Speaking ones mind for the good of society

It is the prerogative of every four-year-old girl to voice her thoughts, whatever the subject, in the presence of the subject, without the slightest embarrassment. I try to exercise that prerogative for the good of the whole of society.

On a walk to the park the other day, I saw a man coming towards us, puffing on a cigarette. I waited until he was within earshot, and then said, with as much disdain as I could muster,

“Oh Mummy! Keep away from that man who’s smoking”.

As he passed, and the fumes cleared, I suddenly remembered something Granny had told me the other day, and chuckled. Mummy looked at me quizzically.

“You were a silly girl when you were little, Mummy”, I explained. “You thought that smokesticks were called firesticks!”.

No comments: